Cryptocurrency in April 2021
The April 2021 cryptocurrency news summary collects headline items across a broad range of crypto-related subjects, including: Tesla’s use of Bitcoin as a payment option; boxing champ Terence Crawford’s NFT move; the United Kingdom’s steps towards a CBDC; the releast of Bloomberg’s Crypto Outlook; and more.
The aim is to deliver a comprehensive overview of the major crypto news headlines from the month past, gathered from Startup News Asia’s daily updates – with each crypto headline below linked to each online article behind it, free to read, in full. This gives our readers:
- at-a-glance reference on significant digital currency news reported in April of 2021; and
- 1-click access to digital currency articles, news items, reports and downloads that are most relevant.
You can also get cryptocurrency news daily
via our social media channels at the foot of this page.
More digital currency news:
- ICYMI: Eastern Caribbean Central Bank unveils DCash central bank digital currency, partnering with Bitt fintech firm for infrastructure and operations
- ICYMI: Bank of Russia plans to unveil prototype for ‘digital ruble’ design in December, running on distributed ledger technology with central bank control
- Download: PwC CBDC (Central Bank Digital Currency) Global Index, 1st edition (pdf)
- ICYMI: UK launches central bank digital currency taskforce with the Bank of England to investigate the potential of a digitally-issued currency
- Cryptocurrency: A round-up of crypto, digital currency and payments news headlines from the past month, touching on CBDCs, NFTs and more
- Download: Cryptocurrency – Looking Back on 2020 and 2021 Predictions, via @cryptocom (pdf)
- ICYMI: Signal private messaging app’s latest UK beta supports new Signal Payments feature, allowing crypto payments using open-source MobileCoin
- Download: Bloomberg Crypto Outlook, April 2021 Edition (pdf)
- ICYMI: Boxing world champion, Terence Crawford, enters NFT space with launch of Greatness, first of 12 NFT bundles, in partnership with Ziliqa
- ICYMI: Visa begins settling transactions in USD Coin, US dollar-pegged cryptocurrency; users of partner service don’t need to first convert USDC tokens to US$
- ICYMI: Tesla now accepts Bitcoin as payment option in the US, with company retaining Bitcoin rather than converting to USD
- ICYMI: Square, Coinbase, Fidelity Investments and others partner to form Crypto Council for Innovation industry group, aiming to lobby, inform policy and develop research
- Bank of Japan launches first phase of experimenting with a central bank digital currency, testing technical feasibility of core functions and features
- South Korea: Klaytn blockchain firm partners with ConsenSys to work towards a Korean central bank digital currency, a digital won
- Bank of Thailand announces intention to develop a retail central bank digital currency, provisionally aiming for trials in Q2 2022
- Download: Central Bank Digital Currency – The Future of Payments for Corporates, from the Bank of Thailand’s Project Inthanon (pdf)
- Hong Kong: TOKEN2049 crypto conference set for November 23-24, looking at global developments in cryptocurrency, blockchain and more
- Hong Kong: Kikitrade cryptocurrency investment platform gains $8M pre-A with sights on NFT and DeFi services
- South Korea: Smaller cryptocurrency exchanges likely to close later in the year as new anti-money laundering regulations take effect
- Non-Fungible Tokens: What exactly are they?
- ICYMI: Edward Snowden to auction an NFT, with 100% of proceeds going to Freedom of the Press Foundation, a non-profit tasked with protecting free speech
- Digital Securities & Tokenization Summit set for May 19-20, a virtual conference focusing on the implementation of blockchain in traditional finance
- Australia: Living Room of Satoshi launches Wages service, allowing users to pay bills with cryptocurrencies
- China: E-commerce giant JD has paid some employees using ‘digital yuan’ in what’s believed to be part of central bank’s move to expand the scope of its use
- Indonesia: East Ventures Digital Competitiveness Index 2021 now available, assessing digital economic condition of each region in the country
- Japan: A look at how some municipalities are embracing digital currency, launching community-focused digital money initiatives to boost local economy and identity
- Singapore: Mintable non-fungible token marketplace platform gains seed funding, with over 150K NFTs created and listed for sale in the last month alone
Startup News Asia app: All-day updates on tech, funding and startup news across Asia and Oceania.
Asia’s TECH NEWS ON SOCIAL MEDIA
You can get Startup News Asia’s ongoing updates on social media:
You can alternatively get an overview of Asian technology news in a quarterly round-up for 17 locations across the region.