Cybersec & datasec news
The March 2021 round-up of cybersecurity and infosec news headlines, covering Southeast Asia and the wider world.
March 2021’s cybersecurity news headlines covered items including facial recognition in Indian schools, security concerns around NFTs, cybersec issues in autonomous vehicles, data breaches in apps used for government communication and more.
Startup News Asia’s monthly cybersec news summaries capture a broad-ranging snapshot of headlines in cybersecurity, infosec and privacy-related technologies, looking at not just the technologies but also the failures, challenges, implementation issues and social implications of cybercrime and proposed responses to it.
- ICYMI: ‘Darknet Cybercrime Threats to Southeast Asia’ report released by United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
- Cybersecurity: Trend Micro Cloud App Security Threat Report 2020 now online
- Cybersecurity: 2020 Vulnerability Intelligence Report from Rapid7, looking at 50 vulnerabilities from the year past
- Cybersecurity: Users of NFT marketplace Nifty Gateway report that hackers stole digital artwork worth thousands of dollars from their accounts
- Agritech: “Net- and IoT-connected agriculture could help feed 8.5BN by 2030 – but also may be broadly vulnerable to cybersecurity threats.”
- Cybersecurity: Highlights from the 2021 Unit 42 Ransomware Threat Report
- ICYMI: Near 100 vulnerabilities found in Hikvision firmware, listed in new report from Lithuanian gov’t, finding more in newer versions than in older versions
- Cybercrime: A list of connections charting how cybercrime groups cooperate with each other, pulled together by CrowdStrike
- ICYMI: Google to partner global insurers Allianz and Munich Re to cover cyber breaches and related risks for businesses using Google Cloud services
- Black Hat Asia 2021 online conference set for May 4-7, delivering technical skill-building sessions alongside briefings on the latest infosec risks and trends
- ICYMI: COVID-19 Concerns For Cybersecurity
- Download: Threat Insights Report Q4 2020, from HP and Bromium, looking at malware trends and emerging cyber threats (pdf)
- Download: Principles for Board Governance of Cyber Risk available now, produced by the World Economic Forum
- ICYMI: Credit card hacking forum Carding Mafia reportedly gets hacked, exposing account details of 300K hackers
- Download: Cybersecurity Challenges In The Uptake Of Artificial Intelligence In Autonomous Driving
- Cybercrime & cybersec: “Ransomware was the biggest threat, making up 40% of all attacks in India” with Asia Pacific region experiencing 25% of global attacks
- Cyber Security Agency of Singapore to launch SG Cyber Safe Programme to help Singapore’s enterprises raise their cybersecurity posture
- “At least 6 major Chinese universities with…connections to gov’t-backed hacking groups have been conducting research on the intersection of cybersecurity and machine learning.”
- India: Ministry of Road Transport advises associated bodies and auto makers to boost IT security systems in response to possible cyber attacks targeting the transport sector
- Japan: Gov’t and increasing number of local bodies halt use of Line messaging app following data breach making user personal data accessible
- Malaysian Armed Forces establishes Cyber Warfare Signals Regiment to strengthen capacity and preparedness around cybersecurity challenges and cyber threats
- New Zealand: “…[in Q3 2020] 281 Kiwis business reported cyber security breaches and many others are likely to have suffered the same fate, without reporting it”
- Singapore: CyberTech Asia 2021 Conference set for July 21-23
- Cisco Taiwan establishes its first Asia Pacific DevNet center at Startup Terrace to provide information security training and talent incubation
- Taiwan: Gov’t to establish ministry of digital development in 2022 to drive digital transformation, boost digital economy and improve info and communications security
- Microsoft to launch public preview of Azure Active Directory verifiable credentials platform, digital wallet-like platform for identifiers – transcripts, diplomas, professional credentials
- India: Facial recognition systems installed in gov’t-funded schools in Delhi, raising children’s privacy concerns amid lack of regulation around data collection and use
- Hong Kong: InfoSec Summit 2021 set for March 9-10, with workshops running from March to May
- China: Government proposes establishing a joint venture with domestic tech giants to oversee data collected from hundreds of millions of consumers, led by central bank
March 2021’s cybersecurity news headlines covered items including .
Other technology focused news in March 2021:
Asia’s startup news, today
Ongoing, all-day news updates on the technology, VC and startup news coming out of South and Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand, delivered by mobile app and on social media.