Blockchain & DLT news
The March 2021 round-up of the month’s blockchain news headlines, covering Asia-Pacific and the wider world.
March 2021’s blockchain news headlines covered items including digital custodian services in banking, India’s national blockchain strategy, blockchain use to combat fake news, blockchain use in energy trading and, of course, NFTs.
Startup News Asia’s monthly blockchain news summaries capture a broad snapshot of headlines in blockchain and distributed ledger technologies, covering not only the technology but also items on the failures, challenges and implementation issues surrounding blockchain and its associated technologies.
- Microsoft to launch public preview of Azure Active Directory verifiable credentials platform, digital wallet-like platform for identifiers – transcripts, diplomas, professional credentials
- ICYMI: LO3 Energy gains $11M Series B led by Shell energy giant with blockchain-based energy marketplace
- Can blockchain help beat fake news?: “…the majority of individuals in developed economies will consume more false than true information by 2022.”
- Australia: Au$6.9M allocated to Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources to explore feasibility of blockchain use, specifically in regulation
- ICYMI: Argo Blockchain inks MOU with blockchain and crypto firm DMG Blockchain Solutions to launch bitcoin mining pool completely powered by clean energy
- India: National Strategy on Blockchain available to download in pdf format
- Singapore’s Zilliqa blockchain company launches $5M fund for ZILHive Incubator and ZILHive Ventures, looking at backing 15 firms building on its platform
- Singapore: dltledgers fintech firm completes Series A round, raising $7M with blockchain-based platform for trade and supply chain finance digitisation
- Download: Digital transformation and the rise of fintech – Blockchain, Bitcoin and digital finance 2021, from JP Morgan (pdf)
- Non-Fungible Tokens 101: A Primer On NFTs For Brands And Business Professionals, from Forbes
- “In December 2020, Deadmau5 sold 6K collectables as NFTs with collective value estimated at $96,940. Grimes auctioned 10 NFTs for $6M, including unique images and short videos…”
- ICYMI: Facebook-backed Diem, formerly Libra, clears regulatory hurdles to finally launch a dollar-backed stablecoin in Q1 2021
- Hong Kong: Hex Trust digital assets and blockchain firm raises $6M with focus on digital custodian services for banks, exchanges and corporates
- ICYMI: Kings of Leon to release new album as a non-fungible token on Yellowchain blockchain platform, with tokenized tickets, perks and exclusives
- Australia’s Webjet airline takes 51% rights stake in LockTrip blockchain startup, in part allowing customers to pay for bookings using the LOC token
March 2021’s blockchain news headlines covered items including .
Other technology focused news in March 2021:
Asia’s startup news, today
Ongoing, all-day news updates on the technology, VC and startup news coming out of South and Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand, delivered by mobile app and on social media.