The March 2021 round-up of the month’s crypto news headlines, covering Asia-Pacific and beyond.
March 2021’s crypto news headlines covered items including PayPal’s moves into cryptocurrencies, Facebook’s Diem (formerly Libra), China’s digital currency, crypto trading in South Korea and, of course, NFTs – non-fungible tokens.
Startup News Asia’s monthly crypto news round-ups capture a broad overview of headlines in crypto and digital currency technologies, looking at the technologies alongside the challenges and issues around cryptocurrency adoption and associated technologies.
- ICYMI: Morgan Stanley the first major US bank to offer wealthy clients access to crypto funds, launching access to three funds that enable ownership of bitcoin
- ICYMI: Argo Blockchain inks MOU with blockchain and crypto firm DMG Blockchain Solutions to launch bitcoin mining pool completely powered by clean energy
- Download: Crypto 2020 Outlook, from Bitcoin Suisse – In-Depth Industry Insights into Markets, Technology and Regulation (pdf)
- A look at 5 reasons why the crypto insurance market is likely to reach new heights in 2021
- NFT 101: “NFTs are a type of token that are going to completely revolutionize entire industries by changing the way we share and consume pretty much everything.”
- Cryptocurrency: PayPal Checkout to allow bitcoin, ether, bitcoin cash and litecoin to be seamlessly converted to US dollars or other fiat currencies when making purchases
- Non-fungible tokens and investment mania: “It’s just a pent-up cycle where the money has nowhere to go, so it’s doing stupid things”
- A round-up of recent cryptocurrency and digital currency news headlines and the articles behind them, gathered over the last month
- Download: 2020 Global Crypto M&A and Fundraising Report, March 2021, from PwC (pdf)
- “Despite a rough start to the year, the number of crypto fundraising deals rose by 33% compared to 2019, reaching over $3 billion in venture capital…”
- ICYMI: Facebook-backed Diem, formerly Libra, clears regulatory hurdles to finally launch a dollar-backed stablecoin in Q1 2021
- Download: Digital transformation and the rise of fintech – Blockchain, Bitcoin and digital finance 2021, from JP Morgan (pdf)
- ICYMI: Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey and Jay-Z partnering for ₿Trust, an endowment to fund bitcoin development focused on India and Africa
- New Zealand: NZ Funds Management’s KiwiSaver growth fund has placed 5% of retirement plan’s assets into Bitcoin
- China: Largest digital currency trial yet set for Chengdu, with over 40 million digital yuan allocated
- ICYMI: PayPal continues moves into crypto space with acquisition deal for Curv cryptocurrency security storage startup
- South Korea: A brief look at why cryptocurrency trading is so popular in South Korea
- Non-Fungible Tokens 101: A Primer On NFTs For Brands And Business Professionals, from Forbes
- ICYMI: DC Comics, owner of Batman and Superman, reportedly exploring a move into non-fungible tokens around sales of crypto-powered digital artwork
- ICYMI: Quartz business journalism platform sells article for $1800 as NFT, the world’s first for a news article, with proceeds going to Int’l Women’s Media Foundation
- Mark your calendar: Asia Crypto Week currently set for November 22-28, running from Hong Kong – details TBC
- India: Dubai’s FD7 Ventures crypto investment fund opens Bengaluru office, launching $250M micro-fund to invest in altcoin projects
- “In December 2020, Deadmau5 sold 6K collectables as NFTs with collective value estimated at $96,940. Grimes auctioned 10 NFTs for $6M, including unique images and short videos…”
- China: Inner Mongolia region to ban new cryptocurrency mining projects and shutter existing activity alongside pulling back on other energy-consuming industries
- ICYMI: Kings of Leon to release new album as a non-fungible token on Yellowchain blockchain platform, with tokenized tickets, perks and exclusives
- Cybersecurity: Users of NFT marketplace Nifty Gateway report that hackers stole digital artwork worth thousands of dollars from their accounts
- Australia’s Webjet airline takes 51% rights stake in LockTrip blockchain startup, in part allowing customers to pay for bookings using the LOC token
- Australia: “Collapse of crypto platform a cautionary tale” – ACX banned for life by peak industry body, while AUSTRAC has revoked platform’s digital currency license
March 2021’s digital currency and crypto news headlines covered items including .
Other technology focused news in March 2021:
Asia’s startup news, today
Ongoing, all-day news updates on the technology, VC and startup news coming out of South and Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand, delivered by mobile app and on social media.