Filipino tech news in September 2023 touched on technologies and developments including: the Philippines’ sari-sari small stores industry; a Filipino fintech startup offering overseas foreign workers fee-free remittances; electric vehicles developments in the country; a Philippines VC fund focused on GenZ; and more.
Hit the headlines below to read the articles behind them in full.
- Philippines: The recent Huawei Cloud Finance Summit Philippines 2023 event, building on Huawei Cloud’s 20-fold growth in just 4 years to become the fastest-growing cloud service in APAC
- Bank of the Philippine Islands selects 70 startups, micro- and ‘nano-enterprises’ for mentoring, support and grants
- Philippines: TANGGapp raised $2.5M seed funding with free mobile payments app that doesn’t charge transfer fees, focused on US-based workers sending remittances to the Philippines
- Video: ‘What Web3 Innovators can learn from K-Pop’, a discussion via Multiverse PH, running out of The Philippines
- Philippines: An intro to Gamer Points, tech startup aiming to use low-intrusion ads in games, generating income for players via GP, virtual currency that can be converted to cash
“…the number of EVs in the Philippines is projected to grow to 6.61 million units by 2030, with two-wheeled vehicles such as e-motorcycles to account for 83.1 percent.”
As EV adoption rises, many vehicle parts will remain but some of the costliest components would be replaced, she said. Garafil cited that seven of 18 common automotive components of a vehicle are being produced in the Philippines, with one of four internal combustion engine (ICE)-specific components locally made.
She said that in the Philippines, there were huge opportunities in the expansion of copper mining and refining, copper-heavy component manufacturing, expansion in electrical component manufacturing, software development as well as delivery centers.
- Philippines: Google partners gov’t departments for training program to boost MSME digital skills, Digital Export Enablement Programme
- Philippines: A video chat with the CEO of SariSuki, a platform connecting users to local farms selling fresh produce, 1 of 9 Filipino firms on Forbes Asia’s 100 to Watch list
- Philippines: An intro to Make-roscope, keychain microscope connecting to phone or tablet cameras, capable of 125-400x magnification
- Philippines: A video intro to James Dyson Award winning Pili Seal, a sustainable aviation-focused sealant with applications in construction, automotive, marine and other industries
- Philippines: An intro to Nila Capital, new venture fund focusing on Gen Z startup founders
- Philippines: A video intro to Packworks and ‘sari-sari’ small store operations in the country
- The Philippines’ Asia United Bank signs on with China’as Alipay+, enabling local merchants to take cross-border e-payments from Hong Kong, South Korea and Malaysia
- Philippines: IGNITE 2023 tech conference is set for October 12-13, running with the theme ‘Innovate to Elevate’ and featuring startup-business matchmaking, pitch competition and more
- Australia’s Cyclion launches $1.5M crowdfunding campaign to commercialise tech to clean soft-plastic waste, possibly partnering Philippines for processing
All-day tech news updates from across the broad – and increasingly strategically and technologically important – Indo-Pacific region, and across South and Southeast Asia:
- Indo-Pacific tech daily on Twitter
- Indo-Pacific tech daily on Facebook
- Indo-Pacific tech news on LinkedIn
Our mobile app is currently offline, due to the ongoing devolution of what was Twitter, now X.
We aim to have the app back online with a much-improved interface and broader functionality late in 2023.
Our weekly e-newsletters go out via Substack and LinkedIn, giving a one-glance grasp of the week’s technology news from the Indo-Pacific and South & Southeast Asia.