Tech news: China
China’s tech news in April 2021 covered items including Nio electric vehicle maker’s plans, JD and the digital yuan, internet giant moves into financial services, Huawei’s continuing challenges internationally, and many more.
News headlines listed are China’s tech and startup headlines for the month, drawn from Startup News Asia’s daily feeds; each headline item links to the full, free-to-read online article behind that headline. This gives readers:
- a quick-glance overview of China’s tech and startup news from April 2021 (obviously); and
- one-click access to the China tech news that interests you the most.
You can also get China’s tech startup news daily via
the social media links at the foot of this page.
More from China:
- China: Government reportedly considering establishment of new stock exchange to attract overseas-listed firms
- China: Xiaomi smartphone giant official launches electric vehicle move with initial investment of $1.5BN, expecting to spend up to $10BN over the next decade
- “Fintech lending is at peak proliferation in China. Among the top 50 most popular apps…33 offer lending services in two main categories – payday loans and consumer credit services”
- China: Huawei acquires Shenzhen payments firm, gaining payments license in likely move into mobile financial services
- China: Huawei deactivates AI and cloud business group in restructuring move, continuing difficulties in transitioning from hardware maker to service provider
- China: Douyin, in-country brand of TikTok short video platform, makes bid to draw merchants from competitors Alibaba and Pinduoduo with ecosystem conference
- China: Huawei and Arcfox launch 5G-equipped luxury sedan, autonomous electric car running on Harmony OS
- China: Military opens 5G signal base at Ganbala radar station in the Himalayan region of Tibet
- China: AgFunder unveils China 2021 Agrifood Startup Investing Report, latest edition of its annual deep-dive on the country’s foodtech and agritech trends
- China: “Tencent…underwent its most aggressive period of investment last year …nearly a quarter of its yearly revenue, or US$17BN was channeled into foreign investment alone”
- Romanian gov’t approves bill barring Huawei, and China, from 5G networks, citing national security concerns and ‘protecting Romania’s future generations’ personal data’
- PayPal to establish e-wallet services in China, focusing on cross-border payments in attempt to avoid direct competition with e-payments giants WeChat and AliPay
- China: Shenzhen Tengyin gains $15.3M led by Tencent with WeChat-based client acquisition and marketing solutions for retail banks
- China: Nio EV maker unveils Power North Plan – 2K fast-charge stations at 500 locations, over 10K destination chargers, 100 battery exchange stations, 120 mobile power banks
- China: “When completed in 2023, the CENI facility will become a prototype ‘future internet’ connecting to almost everything – from computers at home to cars on the street…”
- China: E-commerce giant JD has paid some employees using ‘digital yuan’ in what’s believed to be part of central bank’s move to expand the scope of its use
- China: Baidu to launch commercial Apollo Robotaxi services in Beijing from early May
- China: Telecom Italia reportedly considering canceling contract with Huawei for equipment to build out part of the telco’s 5G network
- ICYMI: German lawmakers pass IT Security Law 2.0, providing tougher 5G legislation and requiring security policy to match those of NATO and allies
- China: “The court ruled that searching for public information or access to public data is no longer allowed in Hong Kong”
- ICYMI: India blocks bank accounts of China’s ByteDance over tax evasion, directing Citibank and HSBC to prevent ByteDance India from withdrawing funds
- Tencent Cloud launches first Indonesian data centre with sights on a second, and Thailand and South Korea by year-end
- Japan: Daiei supermarket chain, affiliate of Aeon, to open cashierless store in Tokyo in partnership with China’s Cloudpick
- Singapore-based ImToken blockchain startup and crypto wallet developer raises $30M to build out decentralized finance services and expand blockchain research
- Singapore Deep-Tech Alliance launchs SDTA22 venture builder in partnership with XNode, Enterprise Singapore Global Innovation Alliance partner in China
- A look at the 15 startups selected for Big Idea Ventures’ 3rd accelerator cohort, working on the future of food, protein alternatives and beyond
ASIA’S TECH NEWS, Daily
Startup News Asia app: All-day updates on tech, funding and startup news across Asia and Oceania.
Asia’s TECH NEWS ON SOCIAL MEDIA
You can get Startup News Asia’s ongoing updates on social media:
You can alternatively get an overview of Asian technology news in a quarterly round-up for 17 locations across the region.