The 4th quarter 2022 snapshot of Malaysia’s technology and startup news headlines, collected across the months of October, November and December of 2022.
Malaysia’s tech news in 2022’s fourth quarter highlighted subjects including Shariah-compliant banking systems, startup developments in Penang state, the role of the Malaysian Research Accelerator for Technology and Innovation, and more. Hit the links to read the articles behind each headline, online and in full.
December 2022 | November 2022 | October 2022
December 2022: Malaysia
- Malaysia: Penang Startups Investor Club launch event set for December 8th in George Town, taking place in Draper Startup House Penang
- Malaysia: Saudi Arabian Al Rajhi Bank’s Malaysia operation launches Rize digital banking app, offering Shariah-compliant financial services
- Muslims in the Metaverse: “New virtual products like ‘Kaaba glasses’ are raising thorny questions about so-called ‘metaworship'”
“Beyond the metaverse market, the virtual hajj also proves a testament to our COVID-19 era. The pandemic forced many to pray at home (either alone or via live streaming) and caused a temporary suspension of communal Friday prayers. Muslim pilgrims also faced curbs on hajj participation and had to abide by various health, hygiene and social-distancing rules.”
- Malaysia: Paywatch earned wage access service provider raised $9M Pre-Series A, focusing on Malaysia and South Korea and with sights on Philippines and Hong Kong expansion
- Malaysia: Gov’t Ministry’s MYStartup initiative partners AirAsia Academy to boost knowledge and education in the country’s startup community
November 2022: Malaysia
- Malaysia: ‘Metaverse 101 – Building Games on the Sandbox’ learning event set for Penang, November 26th
- An interview with Dzuleira Abu Bakar, CEO of Malaysian Research Accelerator for Technology and Innovation on why Malaysia needs to speed up technological innovation to drive future economic growth
“One major way that MRANTI supports startups is through MRANTI Park. Twelve companies have signed on as tenants at MRANTI Park since January 2022. This brings the total number of tenants to 157 companies, which include firms in ICT, biotechnology, engineering, green technology, consulting, and more.”
October 2022: Malaysia
- Malaysia: In September, Cohort 1 of the MYStartup Accelerator gained investments totaling over $300K from 17 angel investors
- An overview of Malaysian Research Accelerator for Technology & Innovation’s $3.88M gov’t grant to boost MRANTI Park, seeking global innovation hub status
- Malaysia: CoreHalal Sabah brings Halal Assurance System to Australia, helping subscribers manage and ensure Halal supply chains
- Malaysia: Digital Penang inks MoU with Microsoft to boost digital skills in Penang startups and SMEs, implementing Microsoft initiatives, platforms and certification
- Nutrition Technologies, Singapore/Malaysia agri-tech, raised $20M, manufacturing protein from black soldier fly larvae as a sustainable alternative to fishmeal for animal feed
- Malaysia: Securities Commission adds Huobi Global cryptocurrency exchange to Investor Alert List over operating without regulator registration
Startup News Asia’s daily updates go out on a variety of channels – mobile app, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn – but we also deliver weekly tech news e-newsletters via Substack and LinkedIn.
For a look at issues, developments and risks in Asia, technology and beyond in a larger context, you should read the less-regular but thought-provoking Need To Know Now newsletter.