April, May & June 2020
The Startup News Asia quarterly collection of Thailand’s startup news from April, May and June 2020.
Each linked headline below leads a tech-focused article or startup news item dealing with an aspect of Thailand’s startup scene in some way – an announcement by a Thai startup about a product, pivot or funding round, or an article detailing changes to some aspect of Thailand’s startup scene in general, for example.
The focus here is obviously on Thailand, but we include ‘wider-world’ tech startup news headlines to provide Thailand’s startups and entrepreneurs with new points-of-reference, food for thought for early-stage considerations, and wider technology-focused industry knowledge for Thailand’s startups.
- Thailand: Nopparat Rajathanee Hospital partners True Corp for 5G-backed emergency medical service, including mobile cell-on-wheels to boost signal
- Thailand: SPACE-F incubator unveils new SE Asian food tech startup program, with applications open until July 12th
- Thailand: A look at Bangkok Dusit Medical Services’ online services, accessed via smartphone app and providing 24/7 health operation staffed by 380 physicians
- Thailand: Zmyhome property-tech startup raises pre-Series A with online platform to help people buy homes directly from sellers
- Thailand: Ministry of Finance to sell $6.42M in savings bonds using state-owned Krung Thai Bank’s blockchain-based e-wallet
- Bank of Thailand developing prototype payments system based on central bank digital currency, aiming for procurement and financial management integration with test firm
- Thailand: Stock Exchange and Securities and Exchange Commission ink MOU to launch Prof Link platform, holding details for over 80K capital markets professionals
- Thailand: Huawei Pay mobile payment service launches in collaboration with UnionPay, introducing support for Near Field Communication payments in retail stores
- Thailand: Gov’t sets $1.5BN budget to improve 8000 remote primary and secondary schools from 2020 to 2022, focusing on foreign language and digital skills
- Thailand: Conicle ed-tech startup secures $900K pre-Series A with learning management systems focus
- Thailand: A brief overview of how the National Innovation Agency aims to boost the startup ecosystem into becoming tech-focused ‘economic warriors’
- Thailand: Digio, pioneer in the country’s mobile POS platforms, raises $4M to grow presence in all aspects of cashless and digital transactions
- Thailand: InVent, VC arm of InTouch telecoms firm, aiming to invest $6M a year in startups in 5G and advanced technology
- Thailand: AIS, country’s largest cell network, takes unsecured database offline following leak of estimated 8BN real-time ‘net records on millions of internet users
- Thai Digital Energy Development public-private JV partners Australia’s fast-growing Power Ledger energy firm to develop blockchain-backed digital energy trading business
- An intro to the 9 startup solutions selected under the UN Environment Programme’s 2020 Asia-Pacific Low Carbon Lifestyles Challenge
- Thailand: Siam Commercial Bank to launch cross-border payments powered by Ripple, aimed at migrant workers from across Southeast Asia
- Thailand: UK’s Azimo money transfer service partnered by Siam Commercial Bank to provide instant payments for European customers to SCB accounts in Thailand
- Thailand: Siriraj Public Hospital to implement AI and 5G solutions provided by China’s Huawei in the fight against COVID-19
- Indonesia’s Investree plans peer-to-peer lending services expansion to Thailand and Philippines following $23.5M fundraise
- 2C2P, a Singapore-HQ’d payments platform, launches investments arm, aiming for strategic investments in firms in payments and related sectors
Startups: Get featured
To have your startup banner featured in future Australian startup news updates from Startup News Asia (monthly and quarterly) or to have a news item distributed on our daily startup news feeds (on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and via Startup News Asia mobile app) talk to us: Partner with Startup News Asia.
Asia’s tech news, daily
To stay up-to-the-minute with ongoing daily updates:
• follow @wadekwright on Twitter
• follow Startup Asia News on Facebook
• follow our LinkedIn startup news updates
• or install the Startup News Asia Android app