April, May & June 2020
The Startup News Asia quarterly round-up of Malaysia’s startup news headlines from April, May and June 2020.
Each item below is a technology or startup news article headline from Q2 2020 and covers an aspect of Malaysia’s startup space in some way, whether an announcement by a Malaysian startup about a product, pivot or funding round, or an article outlining changes to an aspect of Malaysia’s startup scene generally.
The focus here is on Malaysia, but we include wider-world technology and startup news headlines to provide more points-of-reference, food for thought for early-stage Indonesian startups, and wider tech industry knowledge.
- Malaysia: Sunway FutureX set for completion in Q3 2020, a 50K sq ft urban farming innovation hub focusing on food and agritech research, collaboration and skills development
- Malaysia: A look at Whizzl, using its Business Visitor Management System in the COVID-19 context for customer communication
- Malaysia: Curlec fintech gains backing from 500 Startups with easier debit access fir Malaysia’s SMEs
- Malaysian Global Innovation and Creativity Centre Cohort 4 of Global Accelerator Program to proceed as planned, despite COVID-19, with applications closing June 26
- Malaysia: “…coupled with more digital stimulus packages from the government, would inevitably favor nimble e-wallet companies who are willing to go the extra mile”
- Malaysia: LottieFiles secures seed round funding from Adobe Fund for Design and 500 Startups with focus on animation production and community
- Malaysian Technology Development Corp partners Serba Dinamik Group to boost digital startup ecosystem in Malaysia, announcing $6M Innovative Transformation Seed Fund
- Malaysia: A look at LokaLocal’s coronavirus-prompted pivot from providing travel experiences to a new focus on content production and marketing
- Malaysia: Selangor Accelerator Program 2020 opens applications for Malaysian tech startups, a 4-month program taking startups from idea validation to growth
- Malaysia: 3 winning startups selected from 1337 Ventures’ first Alpha Startup Digital Accelerator, working in proptech, vending and recruitment
- Malaysia: Gobi Partners VC firm and Malaysia Digital Economy Corp announce funding up to $3.5M for winning startups in SuperSeed II Championship pitching competition
- Malaysia: NEXEA startup investment firm and MDEC partner for Entrepreneurs Programme, private forum for startup CEOs
- Malaysia: An intro to the 5 tech startups that presented at the recent Cyberview Living Lab Accelerator virtual demo day
- Malaysia: Selangor Accelerator Programme 2020 application period extended to June 10th, seeking tech startups across a wide variety of fields
- Malaysia: An intro to LiveIn, proptech startup offering end-to-end medium to long-term room rental solutions for tertiary students and young professionals
- Malaysia: A brief intro to the 14 Malaysians highlighted by the Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia In 2020 list
- Malaysia: 1337 Ventures launches Alpha Startups Digital Accelerator in partnership with Malaysian Digital Economy Corporation
- Malaysia Venture Capital and Private Equity Association launches Startup Support Squad composed of 4 VC firm reps to aid startups, entrepreneurs and SMEs
- Malaysia: A look at Sabah state’s moves to conduct virtual and video conference-run court hearings in response to the COVID-19 pandemic
- An overview of Meet Your Match Malaysia, collaboration between Singapore’s KK Fund VC and Malaysia Digital Economy Corp Global Growth Acceleration Division
- Malaysia: Leet Capital crowdfunding platform launched by 1337 Ventures, aiming to connect individual investors with businesses solving problems they care about
Startups: Get featured
To have your startup banner featured in future Australian startup news updates from Startup News Asia (monthly and quarterly) or to have a news item distributed on our daily startup news feeds (on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and via Startup News Asia mobile app) talk to us: Partner with Startup News Asia.
Asia’s tech news, daily
To stay up-to-the-minute with ongoing daily updates:
• follow @wadekwright on Twitter
• follow Startup Asia News on Facebook
• follow our LinkedIn startup news updates
• or install the Startup News Asia Android app