India’s technology news in September 2023 touched on a wide range of items and developments including India’s fast-growing moves into space technologies and satellites, the Digital India Bill, 3D metal printing innovations from India, Foxconn’s semiconductor manufacturing facility bid for India, and more.
Hit the links below to read the Indian technology news articles behind each headline.
- India: Cypher 2023 AI Summit set for October 11-13, looking at artificial intelligence technologies, applications and impacts
- India: Google unveils ‘India-tuned’ generative AI-powered Search platform, with voice readouts of results and voice inputs for queries – but only in English and Hindi so far
- India: Veda Defence Systems wins $36M Indian Air Force order for 200 150km-range swarm drones, set for deployment within 12 months
- India: Gov’t now in talks with South American and African nations around use of Unified Payment Interface and RuPay cards, aiming to grow the payment platforms internationally
- India: Reserve Bank plans to pilot use of CBDC in the interbank borrowing market for call money market use, using CBDCs as tokens for call money settlements
- India: Taiwan’s Foxconn reportedly partnering Europe’s STMicro for new semiconductor facility in India, focusing on ‘larger’, established chipsets
- India: Industrial Credit & Investment Corp partners Africa’s Flutterwave payments fintech firm to bring Flutterwave remittance products into the country
- India may pause consideration of cryptocurrencies ban in light of potential for G20 consensus on broadly shared regulation
- India: Jio Platforms unveils plans for high-level cloud AI infrastructure in collaboration with NVIDIA, looking at areas including research into drug discovery and climate change
The new AI cloud infrastructure will enable researchers, developers, startups, scientists, AI practitioners and others across India to access accelerated computing and high-speed, secure cloud networking to run workloads safely and with extreme energy efficiency.
- India: Eastern state of Odisha unveils Odisha Startup Yatra and Startup Xpress 2023, with goal of developing 5000 startups by 2025
- India’s Adani inks JV with Japan’s Kowa conglomerate for green hydrogen products in Japan, Taiwan and Hawaii, with up to $50BN set for 10-year investment in hydrogen market
- India: ThinkMetal raised $300K pre-seed funding with compact metal 3D printer, seeing opportunity in smaller machines producing smaller parts
- India: A look at IDR’s ‘nano drones’, 200 grams in weight with 30-minute fly-time, top speed of 80kmph, and AI-backed ability to identify 80 different objects
- Indian Space Research Org’n and Amazon Web Services and India’s IN-SPACe partner for cloud computing resources, support and tools for startups and research via AWS Activate program
- India: A brief intro to Xovian Aerospace, deploying radio-based ‘nanosatellite’ infrastructure featuring AI-backed data analysis for sectors including maritime, aviation and defense
- India-Saudi Arabia StartUp/Innovation Bridge launches, with 45 MoUs signed to enhance bilateral investments
- India: In-principle framework adopted between a number of higher education institutes to create a common platform for agri-tech and startup information, aiming to develop national consortium
The Digital India Bill:
“While the gov’t is still considering the emerging technologies that it wants to regulate, solutions like blockchain and metaverse are understood to be on its radar.”
“The Digital India Bill, which is the imminent successor to the Information Technology Act, 2000, is a key part of a comprehensive legal framework which encompasses various legislative measures such as the recently-notified Digital Personal Data Protection Act, 2023, the draft Indian Telecommunication Bill, 2022, and a policy addressing the governance of non-personal data.”
- Singapore’s Temasek-backed Vertex Ventures Southeast Asia and India closes 5th fund at $541M, with $50M commitment to back startups led by women founders
- Indian Institute of Tech Kanpur and Uni of Wollongong gain Australia-India Cyber & Critical Tech Partnership Grant to focus on shared issues affecting the Indo-Pacific
“…critical seabed infrastructure is vulnerable to attack; India and Australia must make a coordinated effort to protect these assets in the Indian Ocean.”
- An overview of Japan and India’s growing semiconductor industry partnerships, with both nations pursuing tech self-reliance and innovation-driven growth
- Japan’s Incubate Fund hits 1st close of 3rd fund with target of $50M for seed-stage investments, looking at India and South East Asia investments
All-day tech news updates from across the broad – and increasingly strategically and technologically important – Indo-Pacific region, and across South and Southeast Asia:
- Indo-Pacific tech daily on Twitter
- Indo-Pacific tech daily on Facebook
- Indo-Pacific tech news on LinkedIn
Our mobile app is currently offline, due to the ongoing devolution of what was Twitter, now X.
We aim to have the app back online with a much-improved interface and broader functionality late in 2023.
Our weekly e-newsletters go out via Substack and LinkedIn, giving a one-glance grasp of the week’s technology news from the Indo-Pacific and South & Southeast Asia.