Hong Kong tech news
January 2023 round-up
Hong Kong’s tech news in January of 2023 touched on items including 3D printing in coral reef conservation, the city’s pursuit of status as a global virtual assets hub, e-commerce logistics technology and more. Hit the headline links below to read each Hong Kong tech news article in full.
And for our other editions, spanning daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly updates on Asia’s technology spaces, here’s an outline.
- A video look at how Hong Kong’s Archireef ‘eco-engineering’ startup uses 3D-printed tiles to help restore coral reefs
- Hong Kong’s Animoca Brands looks to raise $1BN in Q1 2023 for new Web3 and metaverse investment fund, scaling back on last year’s target
- Hong Kong: Gov’t reportedly to issue tokenized green bonds for institutional investors, marking further moves into virtual assets and a Web3-focused revival of ‘financial hub’ status
- Hong Kong Web3.0 Hub accelerator sets sights on attracting and developing 1000 Web3 businesses over 3 years
“…the Hong Kong government announced a range of policy measures for the virtual asset industry aimed at promoting the city as a hub, shifting a conservative stance it has held for the past few years as the cryptocurrency market experienced rapid growth and extreme volatility.”
- Hong Kong Science & Tech Parks partners Plug and Play for edition 7 of Elevator Pitch Competition, open to startups globally in fintech and proptech
- Hong Kong: Jumppoint secures $6.5M Series A to grow reach of one-stop e-commerce logistics platform, providing cold-chain delivery, warehousing, fulfillment and cross-border services
- Samsung launches Samsung Bitcoin Futures Active ETF in Hong Kong, with hopes for further products as regulations develop
“CSOP Asset Management last month started a pair of Hong Kong ETFs investing in Bitcoin and Ether futures, which now have combined assets of about US$82 million. Sin said total assets under management in Hong Kong ETFs stand at about US$48 billion and will surpass US$50 billion by year-end.”
- Hong Kong Securities & Futures Commission to propose a subset of tokens it would allow for trading by retail investors, continuing moves towards regulatory regime more friendly to crypto startups
- Plug and Play China partners Hong Kong Science & Tech Parks Corp’n to call for entries for the Elevator Pitching Competition 2023, seeking startups in fintech and proptech
- Animoca Brands-backed Forkast News to merge with CryptoSlam blockchain data analytics firm, creating Forkast Labs Web3 data intelligence platform
Beyond these, we also produce quarterly collections, gathering a jurisdiction’s technology news into 3-monthly digests each year.