The Startup News Asia month-end round-up of Indonesian tech news headlines, drawn from online media in August 2022.
Headlines in August of 2022 cover tech news from Indonesia in fields including big tech regulation, digital wallets, cross-border digital payments and beyond – and, of course, related VC funding. Each headline is linked to the article behind it – one click to read the Indonesian tech news that most interests you.
- Indonesia: Gov’t launches blocks on tech firms including PayPal over failure to register and submit to regulations allowing gov’t to force removal of online content
- Indonesia: Cooperatives & Small and Medium Enterprises Ministry launches Business Incubation Bootcamp in 7 regions, aiming to help create 100 sustainable startups
- Indonesia’s Private Electronic System Operators license: “Most worryingly, MR5 includes a provision allowing the government to demand access to electronic data without needing a court order.”
- Indonesia: DANA digital wallet raised $250M from Sinar Mas conglomerate and Alibaba-owned Lazada, aiming to offer lending, wealth mgmt and insurance to over 115M registered users
- Indonesia: Duckie Land takes win at Alibaba x KrASIA Demo Day with blockchain-based, cross-platform multiplayer online game allowing players to earn, collect and own in-game assets
- Bank Indonesia and Bank of Thailand announce implementation phase of cross-border QR payments, bringing 76 payment system providers from both countries into the project
- Indonesia: GoTo Gojek Tokopedia – GOTO – the country’s largest tech firm, enters cryptocurrency space with purchase of Kripto Maksima Koin crypto exchange