Tech startup news: Vietnam
Vietnam’s tech startup news in January 2021 covered items including blockchain tech, e-commerce and deliveries, smart city moves, digital banking, and more.
Each item listed below is a Vietnam tech startup-focused news headline; each headline hyperlinks directly to the free-to-read, online news item behind that headline, hosted on the site that initially reported and covered it.
January 2021’s startup news collection for Vietnam provides Startup News Asia readers with 2 things instantly:
- a one-page, at-a-glance overview of Vietnam’s startup scene in a single month, January 2021, providing a quick guide to Vietnam’s overall startup activity; and
- instant, one-click access to the news, articles and reports behind each Vietnam startup news headline listed, letting you focus on particular subjects, technologies or developments.
- Loship e-commerce startup adds Loship Radio for customers waiting for 1-hour food deliveries, offering podcasts and other audio content to fill the time
- An overview of the e-commerce landscape in Vietnam, and the growing in-country competition between the region’s major e-commerce firms
- An intro to Kardiachain, blockchain firm allowing businesses to build transparent, secure applications, most recently helping HCMC Youth Union manage 10K members
- A brief look at how Vietnam’s startups are braving the impacts of COVID-19, touching on Loship 1-hour e-commerce delivery firm and Wee Digital fintech startup
- A brief look at the race to 5G, with the country’s 3 major mobile carriers each announcing commercial 5G service trials
- Gov’t Ministry of Info and Comms Authority of Broadcasting and Electronic Information launches online Vietnam Anti Fake News Centre
- MoMo payment app raises over $100M in new funding round, on back of 23M users and $14BN in transactions last year
- Be Group ride-hail startup partners Vietnam Prosperity Bank to roll out Cake digital bank, offering services on Be app via VPBank’s digital banking license
- GoStream gains 7-figure funding with multi-platform livestream broadcasting for social sellers, marketers and content creators
- An intro to 5 startups from batch 8 of Vietnam Innovative Startups Accelerator Investment Day
- A brief look at the recently-launched SEAF Women’s Economic Empowerment Fund, focusing investments primarily on Vietnam, Indonesia and the Philippines
- Gpay e-wallet provider gains Series A funding from South Korea’s KB Financial Group, aiming for a fintech joint venture named KB Fina
- Hue gains $13M funding from South Korea International Cooperation Agency for 5-year project to pursue smart city ambitions, focusing on culture and tourism
- Singapore’s Geniebook edtech startup expands into Vietnam, adding to Indonesia presence, with AI-driven learning based on student strengths and weaknesses
- Taiwan’s Foxconn to build $270M factory in Vietnam to produce tablets and computers, in part possibly an Apple move to shift production lines from China
More of Vietnam’s tech startup and funding news
For more on Vietnam’s tech startup and funding ecosystems, visit Startup News Asia’s coverage page; you’ll find Vietnam-focused technology, startup and venture capital news presented by month and by year, spanning the period from mid-2016 to today.
Today’s tech news across Asia
To be kept up-to-date with an all-day feed of technology and startup news from across 17 primary jurisdictions across Asia and the Indo-Pacific, your first stop should be the Startup News Asia mobile app:
Asia’s tech news on social media
You can also get all-day startup news updates from us: