A snapshot round-up of Australia’s tech and startup news headlines from December 2021, gathering reports, downloads and commentary from online news sources. Items touch on every field in Australia’s tech startup ecosystem – fintech, blockchain, nonfungibletokens, cybersecurity and many more.
And to get tech news updates from across Asia-Pacific via social media, mobile app, Instagram and more, check Startup News Asia’s channels.
- Australia: Audalize looks to UK and NZ for expansion with background music supply for digital signage, messaging and ambient visuals for hospitality, retail and similar industries
- Australia: Victorian state gov’t unveils $2BN ‘Breakthrough Victoria Fund’, aiming to bridge gap between discovery and commercialisation in health sciences, agri-food, digital technologies and more
- Australia: Gov’t proposes defamation laws holding social platforms like Facebook or Twitter accountable for troll comments made against users
- Australia: Mr Yum raises $65M Series A with QR-based mobile ordering and payments platform, boasting use in more than 1500 venues
- Australia: Carma online used car platform raises $20M, emerging from stealth and opening its first inspection and reconditioning facility in Sydney
- Australia’s Sample backed by Sequoia Capital India with LinkedIn-style professional network for people in hospitality, retail, warehousing and other essential daily services
- ICYMI: The Victorian Big Battery lithium-ion battery energy storage system, Australia’s largest, is now online
- Australia to create licencing framework for crypto exchanges, and to consider retail central bank digital currency, in biggest overhaul of payments industry in 25 years
- Porsche Australia launches 3-item NFT series to celebrate 70th anniversary
- Australia: West Tech Fest conference gains $500K support commitment for 2022 edition from Western Australia government
- Australia: Dataro raises $2.5M with artificial intelligence-driven approach to changing how charity fundraising works
- Australia: An intro to Vyro, aiming to make the process of purchasing electric vehicles simpler and less costly than auto dealership models provide
- ICYMI: Australia and South Korea ink $1BN defense deal to build an armoured vehicles centre of excellence facility in Geelong, Victoria
- Australia: An intro to the 13 tech startups selected for backing under the 4th Seed Investment Program from Skalata Ventures
- Australia and United States sign agreement to ease justice department access to digital phone and email records needed in criminal investigations
- Australia: VOLY raises Au$18M to scale ‘supermarket of the future’, featuring delivery by e-bike, sourcing direct from suppliers, micro-fulfilment centres and more
- Wild Futures startup ideas competition applications open to January 17th 2022, an opportunity to pitch to Blackbird VC for entrepreneurs in Australia and New Zealand
- Australia: An intro to Aussie Angels, pooled-funds investment platform allowing investors to join investment syndicates to back the next wave of Australian startups
- Australia’s augmented reality treasure hunt company iHunt4 preps for US growth following selection for display at US National Retail Federation’s Big Show in New York
- Australia: Vivi, fast-growing education-tech startup, raises $20M with sights on team and market growth in the Americas, Europe and Asia
- Australia: Gov’t Digital Transformation Agency has been trialling digital ID age verification for online alcohol purchases, with tech potentially later applied to gambling, gaming and more
- Australia: NSW government earmarks $8.9M to work on personalised digital wallet to allow citizens to prove identity and share decentralised, verifiable credentials
- Australia: A quick interview intro to Urban Swan, aiming to solve the problem of bad and boring dating experiences
- ICYMI: Australia plans for 3 major offshore wind developments, with 2 to be floating wind farms rather than bottom-fixed installations
- Australia / Singapore: Big Tiny raises Au$4.2M pre-A funding, focusing on design, manufacture and assembly of tiny houses, partnering hosts to operate as small guest accommodations
- Singapore’s Trovio digitisation, tokenisation and provenance services firm merges with Australia’s TCM Capital digital asset manager to form crypto entity valued at $200M
Startup News Asia’s other editions go out on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and by mobile app, e-newsletter and in Medium.
Hit the links below to get today’s tech startup news from across Asia, and beyond, on your preferred platform.