Startup news: Singapore
The April 2020 Singapore startup news summary, covering Singapore’s tech, fintech and VC news, focusing where possible on the early-stage startup scene. News items are gathered at the jurisdiction level, rather than as a jurisdiction-plus-technology breakdown, to provide a wide-vision view of the overall activity in Singapore’s startup ecosystems.
Links below are Singapore startup news headlines from April 2020; each link connects you with the online news source for that headline and generally covers either an individual Singaporean startup in the news or the wider Singapore startup ecosystem in some way – VC investments, government or private startup support initiatives, or Singapore tech industry news, for instance.
Please take a moment to visit our friends/partners as well, displayed in the banner ads below; these are Singaporean startups or initiatives worthy of notice, support and news headlines of their own.
- Blockchain Association of Singapore launches following merge between Singapore Blockchain Association and Blockchain, Enterprise and Scalable Technologies
- A brief intro to 5 of Southeast Asia’s property-tech startups
- The problem with COVID-19 contact tracing apps? Opt-in rates. In Singapore, “only only about one in five people have downloaded the app, TraceTogether”
- Singapore: A brief intro to the 9 early-stage fashion-tech startups selected for Bridge Fashion Incubator’s latest cohort
- Singapore’s NIUM fintech platform partners Geoswift to allow customers to remit money directly into bank accounts in China via UnionPay
- Singapore: Igloo raises $8.2M to grow digital insurance in SE Asia, a market expected to grow to $8BN in value by 2025
- Singapore-based Manabie raises $4.8M with online education platform service growth in Vietnam built on 100K users, setting sights on SE Asia expansion
- ICYMI: Agara selected for Singapore Tourism Accelerator with AI-powered Autonomous Voice Conversation engine to handle customer calls without agent involvement
- Singapore: Moovaz secures $7M Series A with international relocation services platform for expats and working travelers
- Singapore Fintech Association and Razer Fintech partner for COVID-19 Support Fund to help business partners through negative impacts of coronavirus
- Singapore Management University partners Tradeteq, UK-based electronic trading platform focused on trade finance, for quantum computing-based credit scoring
- Singapore’s Doctor Anywhere secures $27M with telehealth platform, sets sights on expansion in Asia-Pacific with local and regional partners
- Global accelerator IoT Tribe kicks off 1st Deep Tech Accelerator cohort in Singapore with 12 startups selected
- Singapore: Expara VC firm launches Expara VirTech Global Accelerator seeking startups developing products and services to fight COVID-19 and future viruses
- Singapore: The 22 Singaporean leaders and entrepreneurs selected for this year’s edition of the Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia list
- An intro to the startups selected for Singapore Business Review’s 20 Hottest Startups, and the gradually changing focus of the VC’s supporting them
- Singapore Press Holdings and Snapask partner; Snapask to provide over 10K free subscriptions, SPH offering students 14 days access to The Straits Times news content
- Huawei partners China’s UnionPay bank card clearing service provider to launch Huawei Pay service in Singapore
- Singapore: In just 18 months from formal launch, dltledgers now processes more than $1BN in trade finance via its supply chain traceability blockchain platform
- Singapore developing naval warfare training modelled after esports platforms, with games, forums and analytics to aid officers in training for real-world combat
- 2C2P, a Singapore-HQ’d payments platform, launches investments arm, aiming for strategic investments in firms in payments and related sectors
- Singtel’s subsidiary, NCS, partners Network for Electronic Transfers to develop real-time e-payment and securities-settlement platform for central banks in Asia-Pacific
- Hong Kong-based AsiaPay partners Plug and Play global innovation platform for tie-in with Plug and Play fintech program in Singapore
- Indonesia’s Modalku P2P lender (Funding Societies in Singapore) raises $40M in part to aid loans restructuring by MSMEs affected by COVID-19
- An overview of Meet Your Match Malaysia, collaboration between Singapore’s KK Fund VC and Malaysia Digital Economy Corp Global Growth Acceleration Division
- A brief intro to the 8 SE Asian startups receiving $1-2M from Sequoia’s Surge scale-up program, from Indonesia, Vietnam and Singapore
To have your startup banner included in future online Singapore startup news updates from Startup News Asia (monthly and quarterly) or on our daily startup news feeds (on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and via Startup News Asia mobile app) talk to us: Partner with Startup News Asia.