Startup news: Hong Kong
The April 2020 Hong Kong startup news summary, covering Hong Kong’s tech, fintech and VC news across the early-stage startup scene. Items are gathered focusing on the jurisdiction, rather than jurisdiction-plus-technology, to provide a view of the overall movements in Hong Kong’s startup space.
The links listed below are Hong Kong startup news headlines from April 2020, with each link taking you to the online news source for that headline, generally covering either an individual Hong Kong startup in the news or the wider Hong Kong startup ecosystem in some way – VC investments, HK startup support initiatives, or Hong Kong startup industry body news, for instance.
Please take a moment to visit our friends/partners as well, displayed in the banner ads below; these are Hong Kong startups or related initiatives worthy of notice, your support and deserving of startup news headlines of their own.
- Hong Kong-based AsiaPay partners Plug and Play global innovation platform for tie-in with Plug and Play fintech program in Singapore
- Hong Kong: Venture Smart Asia launches HK’s first approved crypto fund with target first-year size of $100M, offering a window for institutional investors into Bitcoin
- Hong Kong: OneDegree insurtech startup launches first product line, medical plans for pets called Pawfect Care
- Hong Kong: An interview intro to Terminal 1 Recruitment, using AI and automation to improve the hiring process for tech companies
- Hong Kong: Oriente raises $50M with focus on tech infrastructure for digital credit and online financial services, backed in part by Wix web-dev platform
- Hong Kong: Betatron Cohort #6 applications now open, closing April 15th, with no requirement to be in HK for the program – details here
- Hong Kong: Airstar Bank, JV between China’s Xiaomi and AMTD Group corporate finance house, launches pilot for its virtual banking service
- Hong Kong: China Mobile Hong Kong, Hutchinson and HKT have launched commercial 5G services
- Hong Kong: Start-up Express preps for 3rd edition for startups in AI, robotics, big data, biotech, IoT, fintech and smart cities
- Hong Kong: Neat fintech gains Visa as investor in $11M funding round, with sights in part set on the next generation of Neat credit cards for businesses
- Hong Kong Smart Government Innovation Lab unveils security framework for mobile apps to secure against advanced persistent threats, trojans and rootkits
- Hong Kong Smart Government Innovation Lab unveils Dolphin IPS, indoor positioning system for use where GPS and satellite tech lacks precision or fails
- ICYMI: Aegis opens, Taiwan’s first cafe supporting Hong Kong’s protests against extradition bill and CCP erosion of HK’s democratic freedoms
To have your startup banner included in future online Australian startup news updates from Startup News Asia (monthly and quarterly) or on our daily Australian startup news feeds (on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and via Startup News Asia mobile app) talk to us: Partner with Startup News Asia.