January, February & March 2021
Sri Lankan startup news
The Q1 2021 round-up of Sri Lankan startup news gathers the country’s technology-focused start-up and venture capital news headlines across 3 months – January, February and March of 2021.
The Q1 2021 headline round-up collected here outlines developments in Sri Lanka’s technology and startup scenes, highlighting news across subjects including: Sri Lanka’s national cybersecurity strategy, telehealth platform funding, the country’s female entrepreneurs, Sri Lankan agri-food startups and many others.
Items listed are the headlines only, hyperlinked and bullet-pointed to give readers an instant overview of Sri Lankan startup news in Q1 2021 whilst providing 1-click access to each article, free to read in full, online, behind each headline listed.
- Online event: Meet the Top Startup Mentors in Sri Lanka on Zoom, April 6th, from Founders Institute
- An intro to Sri Lanka’s Nevindaree Premarathne, awarded Ecosystem Hero of the Year award by the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation
- Sri Lanka’s Hatch awarded ‘Best Co-Working Space 2020’ at SAARC Startup Awards, with 60K square feet across 7 floors, 500-plus members and more than 70 startups
- Lankan Angel Network launches IAMHER Program to empower women entrepreneurs, with Her Brand initiative applications closing April 15th
- Download: Central Bank of Sri Lanka Road Map 2021 – Monetary and Financial Sector Policies for 2021 and Beyond (pdf)
- Download: Digital Government & Cyber Security Strategy of Sri Lanka (pdf)
- Startup 2021 – Entrepreneurial reality TV show to mentor & develop young entrepreneurs in Sri Lanka
- ICYMI: The PwC Sri Lanka Accelerator
- Sri Lanka: Applications for SLASSCOM Ingenuity Awards 2021 now open, closing February 14th
- AI Asia Summit 2021 set for February 25-27, running online from Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Internet Day 2021 set for April 6-7, themed around ‘digital inclusion’ and focusing on the country’s SME’s
- Sri Lanka: oDoc raises $1M pre-A funding with telehealth platform, home delivery for medicines and more
- Sri Lanka: SLASSCOM National Ingenuity Awards 2021 applications extended to March 5th, looking at innovations across 10 categories and 9 provinces
- Sri Lanka: Nominations for the SLASSCOM Ingenuity Awards 2021 now open, aiming to recognize the country’s innovators at provincial and national levels
- An intro to the female founders and entrepreneurs that presented in the SLASSCOM Women Technopreneurs Forum at the Sri Lanka Design Festival
- Australia’s Vygo education-tech startup opens Sri Lanka offices, aiming to gain from the country’s software engineering talent pool
- Sri Lanka: An overview of SLASSCOM Entrepreneurship and Innovation Forum’s activities and goals, including establishment of Startup Sri Lanka Accelerator
- Sri Lanka: A brief intro to the Council for Startups, launched by Ceylon Chamber of Commerce to address the needs and challenges of SMEs and startups
- Sri Lanka: HatchX Demo Day showcases 7 graduating fintech startups working in peer-to-peer lending, cashless payments, micro-insurance and more
- Sri Lanka: Hatch Open House returns for 2021 program, providing a 3 month mentorship program connecting startup founders with guidance and insight
- Sri Lanka: An intro to 4 of the agri-food startups from the Good Life X accelerator program
Asia’s startup news, today
Ongoing, all-day news updates on the technology, VC and startup news coming out of South and Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand, delivered by mobile app and on social media.