In September 2023, Hong Kong’s tech news headlines covered items including the world-first use of low-carbon biofuel in shipping, cryptocurrency fraud in HK, Malaysia-Hong Kong startup ecosystem connections, and more.
Hit the links to read the Hong Kong tech news articles behind each headline in full.
- Hong Kong: HashKey Capital launches its first secondary crypto market fund, primarily placing assets in 2nd-tier cryptocurrencies, with investments in Bitcoin, Ethereum and altcoins
- HK-NY Web3 firm, TRLab, raised $5M seed funding with focus on digital asset representations of fine art
- Hong Kong: Buyandship cross-border platform raised $10M Series B, enabling consumers to purchase products globally via unified services platform, overseas centres and more
“…given China and the US are Hong Kong’s main sources of economic and financial backing, it remains to be seen if HK’s web3 push is a bold move…or a policy out of step with the times“
Whether transparent regulations will be enough to create a dynamic new sector of the economy is less clear. A Hong Kong–based employee at an established cryptocurrency company who spoke to The China Project on the condition of anonymity is pessimistic on the prospects of the industry in the city. “Lots of people ask if they should join the industry. My answer is no.”
- Hong Kong: Fraud investigation now underway against JPEX crypto trading platform with claims of $166M in losses and case likely to test new regulations
- Hong Kong: StartMeUpHK Festival 2023 set for November 8-17, touching on topics including Web3, health-tech, sustainability and more
- Hong Kong: SUNeVision data center operator launches Startup Programme, with applications open to December 31st, aiming to select 10 candidates for the inaugural cohort
“SUNeVision Startup Programme is designed to support startups in Hong Kong and those looking to expand in Hong Kong to accelerate innovations and scale up, while connecting the companies to the mission-critical technology partners on the industry-leading ecosystem.”
- Hong Kong: Chimbusco Pan Nation Petro-Chemical, HK’s largest shipping fuel supplier, announces first use of low-carbon biofuel for shipping
- Malaysia Digital Economy Corp and City University of Hong Kong ink MoU to develop connections between the innovation, entrepreneurship and startup ecosystems in HK and Malaysia
All-day tech news updates from across the broad – and increasingly strategically and technologically important – Indo-Pacific region, and across South and Southeast Asia:
- Indo-Pacific tech daily on Twitter
- Indo-Pacific tech daily on Facebook
- Indo-Pacific tech news on LinkedIn
Our mobile app is currently offline, due to the ongoing devolution of what was Twitter, now X.
We aim to have the app back online with a much-improved interface and broader functionality late in 2023.
Our weekly e-newsletters go out via Substack and LinkedIn, giving a one-glance grasp of the week’s technology news from the Indo-Pacific and South & Southeast Asia.