Startup News Asia’s monthly snapshot of tech news headlines from Hong Kong, New Zealand and Thailand, curated from online news outlets during August 2022. This month, these countries were ‘quieter’ in SNA’s news gathering, hence their listing here rather than on a standalone page for each country.
- Hong Kong: StartMeUpHK Festival 2022 is set for September 5-10, featuring discussions, exhibitions, investor matching, hackathons and job fairs
- New Zealand: Parliamentary Service strongly recommends lawmakers and MPs delete TikTok over security concerns
- New Zealand’s Xerra detected around 100 possible ‘dark vessels’ during crack down on illegal fishing around Pacific island of Tuvalu
- Sri Lanka: PayBolt Sri Lanka subsidiary launches in Colombo’s Port City special economic zone, aiming to boost crypto payments adoption nationwide
- Sri Lanka: Magicbit takes national Startup of the Year Award at recent SALSSCOM Integrity Awards with mini-computer edtech focused on STEM education
- Sri Lanka: Lankan Angel Network gains $300K grant from US’ The Ford Foundation to boost Sri Lanka’s startup ecosystem, focusing primarily on income and gender inequality