A snapshot collection of India’s technology-focused news headlines from December of 2021, collecting reports, downloads, commentary, articles and more from online media sources. Articles collected touch on every field in India’s tech startup ecosystems – agri-tech, fintech services, blockchain, online gaming, and many more.
And to get tech news updates from across Asia-Pacific via social media, mobile app, Instagram and more, check Startup News Asia’s channels.
- India’s slice gains unicorn status with services and products including prepaid Visa card, virtual cards, BNPL and cash-backs
- India: An intro to Twitter’s new CEO, Parag Agrawal, who replaces founder and long-time chief executive, Jack Dorsey
- India: Reserve Bank proposes widening definition of ‘bank note’ to include currency in digital form in preparation to enable eventual launch of central bank digital currency
- India: “Digital payments in India will more than double to $135.2 billion in 2023 from $64.8 billion…share of worldwide transaction value…to increase from 1.56% to 2.02% in 4 years.”
- India: Agrix gains backing from Lead Angels Network with agri-tech platform focusing on small and marginal farmers, improving fragmented farm production
- Sequoia India unveils first cohort of 15-women led startups selected for Spark Fellowship programme, including seven from India
- India: Bharti Airtel launches Airtel India Startup Innovation Challenge with Invest India, seeking early-stage tech solutions in 5G, digital advertising and more
- India: Eloelo breaks 2M user mark with live-streaming and social gaming app, embedding games inside live video chat rooms
- India: PM Modi calls on int’l community to jointly shape norms for tech including social media and crypto to ensure they are used to empower democracy, not undermine it
- India: South Korea’s Hyundai unveils plans to invest $530M to launch 6 electric vehicle models in India by 2028
- India: ‘Celebrating Innovation Ecosystem’ week set for January 2022 by Gov’t, aiming to boost market access for startups and facilitate investment
- India: Resolve 360 wins Nexus Accelerator’s $10K Startup Development Grant with online rehabilitation services for patients
- India: Finnovation corporate engagement program launched by HDFC housing finance firm and IvyCamp to identify startups with solutions addressing problems in lending
- India’s Global Healthcare Academy edtech and California’s 8chili partner to take healthcare training and medical education to the Metaverse
- India: Telangana Blockchain District partners Lumos Labs to launch India Blockchain Accelerator, a 4-month program for early-stage startups and concept development
- India unveils $10BN semiconductor production-linked incentive scheme aimed at establishing an entire chipset manufacturing ecosystem in India
- India: A brief video look at why an India-Taiwan Free Trade Agreement is likely to be a game-changer for Indian industry, from semiconductors to employment
- India: Metamall raises $4.6M in pre-IDO funding round through token sales, in part allowing users to earn money by leasing, staking, advertising and developing virtual real estate
- Australia’s Sample backed by Sequoia Capital India with LinkedIn-style professional network for people in hospitality, retail, warehousing and other essential daily services
- ICYMI: IBISA agricultural microinsurance startup raises $1.7M with focus on small farmers whose livelihoods are at risk from adverse climate events
Startup News Asia’s other editions go out on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and by mobile app, e-newsletter and in Medium.
Hit the links below to get today’s tech startup news from across Asia, and beyond, on your preferred platform.