News from May 2020
The monthly Japan startup news summary for May 2020, drawn from the daily Startup News Asia news feed.
The Japanese startup news headlines below each link to one of the original online news articles that published the item concerned. Each article either directly covers Japan’s tech startups, or deals with issues of importance to Japanese startups in some way.
News headlines featured here are the Japanese tech startup news items pulled from our daily startup news coverage, which currently covers 17 primary locations across Asia and Oceania. News sources we pull from are agnostic; we find and aggregate news about Japan’s tech startups from online outlets large and small, based purely on relevance to individuals, and organisations, interested in Japanese tech startups.
Additional subject-focused news summaries are also online, covering the month’s blockchain news, artificial intelligence, digital currency news, cybersecurity and datasec, and a broad collection of fintech news.
- Japan: Kyash digital banking startup raises $45M as cashless payments become the norm in response to coronavirus
- Japan: A brief intro to 5 of the country’s property-tech and real estate-focused startups
- Japan: An overview of how AI is changing Japan’s labor-intensive anime industry, with machine learning enabling 8K image processing and fast translation
- Japan: An overview of Tokyo Metropolitan Government’s Special Loan Program for Women, Youth and Senior entrepreneurs
- Japan: JETRO Kyoto launches English-language Startup Visa program website to boost information related to Kyoto’s startup ecosystems
- Japan: IntegriCulture cellular agriculture firm launches Uni-CulNet framework, aiming to standardise cell-based agriculture infrastructure and systems
- Japan: IntegriCulture raises $7.4M Series A with focus on cell-based meat
- Taiwan: An overview of Japan’s LINE messaging app’s aims as a virtual bank in Taiwan, both with LINE Pay and the soon-to-launch LINE Bank
- Taiwan AI Robotics Accelerator, Japan’s Mizuhu Bank and StarFab Accelerator ink MoU to establish accelerator platform focusing on 5G, AI and medicine (pdf)