AI News headlines
A brief round-up of AI news and ML news headlines, where possible looking at developments in South and Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand, and drawn from English-language press online across February 2020.
- ICYMI: Elon Musk’s OpenAI to switch focus to use of Facebook’s PyTorch machine learning framework in future projects, rather than Google TensorFlow
- …70% of the public and technology leaders believe AI will lead to greater social isolation and a loss of human intellect and creativity.
- Download: 2019 Edelman AI Survey whitepaper – 40 pages (pdf)
- ICYMI: YouTube issues cease-and-desist letter to Clearview AI facial recognition company to prevent harvesting facial identification data from videos
- Art produced by AI – how does AI’s use change how we perceive the art it produces?
- ICYMI: Clearview AI, firm recently headlined over high-level privacy concerns, has had its entire client list stolen in data breach
- ICYMI: UK’s AiX startup negotiates first Bitcoin-US dollar trade using proprietary AI system that communicates with human traders at banks via chat services
- India: RAISE 2020, 2-day artificial intelligence summit, set for April, with theme of ‘Responsible AI for Social Empowerment’ and featuring pitch-fest for startups
- Japan: Manga designed by AI and drawn by robotic hand to be published in Japan’s Morning magazine, created by studying works of Astroboy creator, Osamu Tezuka
- South Korea: A look at bepro11, AI-backed video analysis system startup focused on football skills development
- Malaysia: Courts in Sarawak to deploy artificial intelligence to provide judges with guidelines and analysis to determine and mete out jail penalties and fines
- SparkLabs Group launches SparkLabs Connex accelerator program focused on smart city, IoT and proptech-related startups
- Taiwan: A brief look at OmniEyes, car fleet management solution using AI-based analysis of real-time video
- India: Deepfake videos created and used deliberately in political campaigning by Bharatiya Janata Party president
- Indonesia and Malaysia to gain from expansion of UK’s Skymind Global Ventures, and artificial intelligence-focused startup fund and accelerator
- Taiwan: AccuHit AI-backed marketing solution developer raises $2.3M pre series-A with focus on customer purchasing behaviour and data analysis
- Australia: Woolworths trials AI-enabled scales using system from Tiliter startup that automatically recognises type of fruit or vegetable being weighed
- A look at Samsung’s SelfieType, mobile device software which analyzes finger movements and converts them into QWERTY keyboard inputs for typing
- China: Laiye raises $42M with robotic process automation services, allowing companies to assign repetitive tasks to computer-managed systems
- Japan: A look at Aissy, neural network-driven taste analysis startup