Artificial intelligence in May
The headlines gathered here outline the news headlines in artificial intelligence and related technologies in May 2021.
May’s artificial intelligence news covered items including AI use in funds management, AI in agriculture managment, artificial intelligence in COVID-19 diagnosis, the technology’s use in cybersecurity and many more.
The listing below provides an at-a-glance grasp of developments in artificial intelligence with a focus on Asia, where applicable, and also covering wider world AI news, so as to provide readers with a larger context around artificial intelligence technology development.
Artificial intelligence news items are also in Startup News Asia’s daily tech updates, sent via mobile app and social media
- ICYMI: Microsoft Azure Women in AI Program sessions are available in Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Philippines, Korea, Thailand, Singapore and Sri Lanka
- Facial recognition training systems and your photos – who will have access to them, what will be done with them, and which algorithms will they train?
- Cybersecurity and AI: “The latest generation of neural networks are vulnerable to a new kind of attack that makes them use too much energy.”
- Download: Truth, Lies, and Automation – How Language Models Could Change Disinformation
- China: A brief look at the rise of AI and automation in funds management
- ICYMI: Google unveils tool that uses artificial intelligence to help spot skin, hair and nail conditions, based on images uploaded by patients
- University of Hong Kong launches HKU AI Lawyer, and AI-driven sentencing predictor focused on drug trafficking offenses
- India: A look at ReshaMandi, AI-driven agri-tech startup helping silk farmers improve quality, boosting income up to 30%
- India: L&T Technology Services and Intel developed AI-based guidance system to help drivers locate nearby parking spaces, eyeing a market valued at $5.4BN by 2025
- India: Wadhwani AI partnered by Google’s philanthropic arm for AI-driven, app-based system to identify crop pests, predict disease trajectory, and provide actionable insights
- Japan: Video pitch made by Ginkan, an AI-driven social restaurant discovery platform, at the recent Unicorn Battle South East Asia & Oceania event
- Philippines: Gov’t to establish National Center for AI Research, in support of recently-unveiled AI Roadmap
- Philippines: A brief intro to Exora Source, artificial-intelligence-powered system assessing energy usage using historical and real-time data to bring user costs down
- Singapore: AffableAI marketing-tech firm raises $2M with SaaS platform helping brands and agencies run social media-focused influencer marketing campaigns
- Taiwan approves AI-based detection system for chest X-rays to more quickly detect COVID-19 infections
- “…Spotify elicited sheer panic when it was granted a patent for analyzing users’ voices to decipher their emotional state and then make music recommendations to match.”
- Download: Tech Trends 2021, 166-page overview from Deloitte (pdf)
- India: An intro to Niramai, tech startup helping detect breast cancer using thermal analytics and artificial intelligence
The Startup News Asia mobile app gives you Asia’s tech news today, delivering technology headlines from across South & SE Asia and Oceania, direct to your mobile phone – you can get it on Google Play:
ASIA’S TECHnology NEWS, DAILY via SOCIAL MEDIA
Startup News Asia’s tech news is also pushed out, all day, every day, on the major social media platforms:
And don’t forget to connect with Startup News Asia’s founder on LinkedIn: