January, February & March 2021
Thailand’s tech startup news
The Q1 2021 collection of Thailand’s tech startup news draws together the country’s tech startup and venture capital news headlines across the first 3 months of 2021 – January, February & March.
Q1 2021’s tech news headlines for Thailand, linked below, outline movements in Thailand’s tech and startup spaces, showcasing items across a range of fields and technologies: blockchain tech in tax revenue collection, digital asset and DeFi funding, sales automation in insure-tech, and others.
News items listed here are the headlines, linked and bullet-listed without preamble text or other distractions, providing an at-a-glance grasp of Thailand’s tech news across Q1 2021, along with instant, 1-click access to the online articles, in full, behind each headline.
- Thailand: Facebook takes down 185 accounts and groups engaged in information-influencing operation run by military, first time FB has removed accounts with gov’t ties
- Thailand’s Siam Commercial Bank and Indonesia’s Traveloka form JV to offer financial services and products to Thai customers
- ICYMI: HK Monetary Authority and Bank of Thailand announce central banks of China and UAE to join project using blockchain for regional payments
- Download: Perspectives on Thailand’s Digital Ecosystem, from Dr. Kid Parchariyanon (pdf)
- Download: Thailand Digital Government Development Plan 2017-2021 (pdf)
- Reference: Digital, Creative, and Startup Ecosystem, September 2019, from the Thailand Board of Investment (pdf)
- Thailand: Siam Validus crowdfunding platform becomes first foreign fintech firm to gain debenture crowdfunding licence from Securities and Exchange Commission
- Thailand: Siam Commercial Bank VC arm, SCB 10X, launches $50M fund to invest in blockchain, digital asset and decentralized finance startups
- Thailand: ListenField agritech gains funding from Kubota, Japanese agricultural equipment maker, with API-based crop and climate analytics and wireless device integration
- Thailand: AppMan raises $4.6M to help APAC insurers automate sales processes
- Thailand: Digital Economy Promotion Agency aiming to boost Thailand’s game service providers, seeking around $14M from government to support the industry
- Indonesia’s Traveloka to launch ‘buy now, pay later’ financial services in Thailand and Vietnam
- Yesmom launches health information service with at-home blood testing kits and platform focusing on women’s fertility
- E-Commerce Payments Trends, via JPMorgan: Thailand’s consumers rapidly evolve to become mobile commerce forerunners
- Securities and Exchange Commission warns investors should closely monitor investments in cryptocurrencies due to high volatility
- Bourse to roll out digital asset trading platform in H2 2021, enabling retail and institutional investors to trade digital tokens; but cryptocurrency will not be part of the offering due to money laundering concerns
- Thailand Digital Transformation Survey Report 2020 from Deloitte: Beyond technology, talent emerged to drive digital transformation
- Securities and Exchange Commission orders Bitkub cryptocurrency exchange to temporarily shut down and fix issues behind severe outages
- Excise Department will integrate blockchain technology to administer revenue collection for the fiscal year 2021
Asia’s startup news, today
Ongoing, all-day news updates on the technology, VC and startup news coming out of South and Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand, delivered by mobile app and on social media.