The January 2022 snapshot of China’s tech news headlines, drawn from Startup News Asia’s daily updates
Get tech news headlines from across Southeast Asia and the Indo-Pacific from Startup News Asia’s social media channels – Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram – or from our mobile app.
- China: Cyberspace Administration to implement new rules in February requiring platform companies with more than 1M users to undergo security review before listing shares overseas
- China: Android and Apple users in 10 cities can now use pilot version of digital yuan wallet app, enabling them to acquire, store and use central bank digital currency
- China: Tencent adds digital Yuan support to WeChat instant-messaging app’s Pay wallet for over 1BN users in mainland China
- China: Roblox pauses China service as it takes ‘important transitory actions’ just 5 months after China launch on iOS and Android
- China: Guangli Technology AR startup raises $15.7M Series A with products including holographic swimming goggles, and sights on metaverse integrations
- China: 4 regulators issue new rules on use of algorithms – tech driving ByteDance’s Toutiao, Twitter clone Weibo – forbidding ‘synthetic’ content in recommendations
- China: Tencent invests in Easy Transfer, startup aiming to make tuition payments easier for overseas Chinese students, working with institutions with cross-border payments licenses
- China: State-backed Blockchain Services Network to launch infrastructure for deployment of NFTs – but not linked to cryptocurrencies, and with purchasing and fees in yuan only
- China: Xiaohongshu files lawsuits against 4 companies that provide ghostwritten content in bid to restore consumer trust around fake reviews and click farming
- China: State Council publishes blueprint for development of digital economy that aims to boost contribution of core digital economy industries to 10% of GDP by 2025
- China: “Genshin Impact…has become the most successful title of Chinese origin on global markets…generating $3.7 billion in revenue and surpassing…Fortnite and Pokemon Go…”
- China’s Newborn Town is testing metaverse features for Yumy dating app, which has 30M users outside China
- China: CATL launches EVOGO battery swap service for electric vehicles, aiming to allow drivers to change car batteries in just one minute
- ICYMI: US Federal Comm’s Commission bars China Unicom, primary telecom provider for Beijing Olympics, from US markets over national security concerns
- China: Timekettle raises $3M Series A with artificial intelligence-driven smart translation machines, focusing on in-real-time earphone-based devices
- China: ByteDance is now beta testing ‘Party Island’ metaverse social media app, allowing users to create avatars, join virtual events, and chat with other participants
- China ramps up plans to launch 13,000 low earth orbit satellites, similar to SpaceX’s Starlink
Our other editions go out on a variety of channels – Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, mobile app, e-newsletter and Medium.
Hit the links below to get today’s tech startup news from across Asia, and beyond, on your preferred platform.