Startup News Asia’s month-end round-up of key technology news headlines from The Philippines, curated from online news outlets across August 2022.
Headlines here span Filipino tech news items in fields as diverse as cryptocurrency wallets, open finance, cross-border remittances using blockchain and beyond – and related VC funding. Items are hyperlinked headlines – one click to read the Philippines tech news article that interests you the most.
- Philippines: Packworks raises $2M seed funding to scale digital services platform for sari-sari stores, sights now on connecting retailers with financial institutions and brands
- Parent firm of Philippines’ UNO Digital Bank secures $11M pre-A funding, with sights on financial and banking services for the country’s 45 million underbanked population
- Philippines Startup Week 2022 has been set for November 14-18, running with the theme of ‘Homegrown Heroes – Cultivating Future Tech Giants’
- Philippines: CoinsPH fiat and crypto wallet provider partners Globe Telecom to offer crypto in exchange for reward points via telco’s loyalty program
- Philippines: Roxe blockchain backbone firm partners Cebuana Lhuillier microfinance firm to boost cross-border remittances
- Philippines: Twala gains $80K grant from Dep’t of Science and Tech boost company uptake of blockchain-backed digital signatures
- Lufthansa Technik Philippines Startup Challenge launches open call for new tech solutions for the aviation maintenance, repair and overhaul industry
- Philippines: UnionBank set to become country’s first bank allowing users to buy and sell cryptocurrencies directly from the banking app without a third party wallet
- Philippines: Central bank to close applications for new virtual asset service provider licenses for 3 years from Septembers, seeking balance between boosting innovation and managing associated risks
- Philippines: edamama parent-focused e-commerce firm closes $20M Series A round, offering services from online community platform to same-day deliveries
- Philippines: A brief look at the 8 startups from the recent Dynamic Space San Francisco Startup Pitch Night, working on prop-tech, on-demand services, e-learning and more
- Philippines: Open PHinance Challenge launches 8–week accelerator with 11 startups selected to work on a new wave of open finance products for the Philippines and SE Asia