The August 2022 month-end round-up of Japan’s technology news headlines, drawn from online media and curated by Startup News Asia.
Japanese tech news headlines in August of 2022 cover fields including NFTs, Japan’s defense-related technology, the country’s investment in startups and more. Each tech news headline is directly linked to the article behind it; one click and you’re reading each Japanese tech news item in full.
- Japan’s startups challenge: “The amount of startup investment in the US last year totaled about $376.1BN, more than 100 times Japan’s figure of $3.5BN…”
- Japan: “The prominence of large firms and their historical role in Japan shape both the constraints that Japan’s startup ecosystem has faced and the opportunities now available.”
- Japan: A brief look at Toy Eight, AI-backed startup and smartphone-based digital screening tool for monitoring child development
- Japan: Defense Ministry lists combat drones, hypersonic weapon research and long-range missile mass production in record $40.7BN budget request for 2023
- Japan: Government Pension Investment Fund, one of the world’s largest institutional investors, to begin investing in Japanese startups
- Japan: Animoca Brands Japan secures $45M, focusing on partnerships in Japan for NFT-related opportunities and aiming to aid famous IP holders with entry to Web3 ecosystems