The Philippines’ startup news – October 2020
Filipino startup news headlines listed below were gathered from online press coverage of The Philippines’ tech, startup and VC funding news across October 2020.
Each Filipino startup headline listed is hyperlinked to the full online news article for that headline, giving readers an instant overview of the Filipino startup scene in October 2020, and also giving readers one-click access to the articles behind each Filipino startup news headline listed.
Items here were first featured in Startup News Asia’s daily updates.
The Filipino startup news items below are a deliberately broad collection of recent startup news items from The Philippines, and may cover anything; from the obvious, like a Filipino startup trialing a new tech-focused service, through to a new technology being introduced to The Philippines from the outside world.
- Philippines: Spotify partners with 9 Filipino podcasts following promising survey results
- Philippines: Filinvest Group launches Filinvent innovation program to help its operating companies engage with tech startups, emerging technologies and innovations
- Founder Institute Philippines Virtual 2021 applications now open, deadline set for December 6th
- An overview of the startups presenting as part of Seedstars International Demo Day 2020 on October 14th, including Filipino health tech startup Medcheck
- Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry awards CEO of Senti AI artificial intelligence company with Outstanding Young Entrepreneur Award
- Philippines: A brief intro to Closing The Loop Technologies, social enterprise helping communities upcycle plastic waste into materials for new products
- Philippines: Venio expands services nationwide, providing nano-credit between $1 and $5 to unbanked consumers via smartphone
- Philippines: A 2-page round-up of recent tech, startup and funding headlines from The Philippines, linked and QR coded for offline and online reading
- Philippines: Citizen registration commences for national ID system, with gov’t promoting electronic payments and financial services access for the unbanked
- Philippines: An intro to Agrabah, digital platform connecting farmers and fishers to markets and financing, and grant recipient under the UNICEF and ING Fintech For Impact program
- Philippines: Military reportedly considering Japan partnership around cyber-defense and drone capability as part of force modernization program
- Philippines: Investing in Women joins QBO Innovation Hub for 3-year partnership to build on QBO’s StartupPinay campaign to boost female-led tech startups
- Philippines: An intro to reach52, building a suite of apps to empower local women in providing affordable microinsurance, healthcare and health products to rural communities
- Philippines: PhilCare partners MyGolana to launch HeyPhil Mind Care, providing mobile app-based access to mental wellness and counseling services
- Philippines: An interview intro to Worth The Health, plant-based meat startup working with jackfruit, mung beans and more for vegan-friendly foods
- Philippines: First Circle online SME lender makes it to Inclusive Fintech 50, Metlife and Visa selection of startups pushing inclusion for the financially underserved
- Philippine Startup Week 2020 virtual conference set for November 23-27
- Philippines: UNAWA regtech startup takes first runner-up in Business Plan Challenge at IP-focused 2020 Licensing Executives Society Asia Pacific Conference
- Philippines: GCash moves into mobile gaming with partnership with Myanmar’s Goana Games in step towards becoming a Filipino super app
- Philippines: Kumu livestream and community platform raises $5M, claiming 25K livestream broadcasts per day
- Philippines: Liter of Light wins at Germany’s Startup Energy Transition Award 2020 with sustainable solar lighting for people with limited or no access to electricity
- Philippines: An intro to BeamAndGo, payment and digital marketplace providing OFWs with control over how remittances are spent by their families back home
Today’s startup news
Get all-day news updates from Startup News Asia on tech, startup and VC news from across Asia and Oceania, alongside interesting tech news from the wider world, with the links below.
• On Twitter •
• On LinkedIn •
• On Facebook •
• Mobile app •