Startup news: Korea
The April 2020 South Korean startup news round-up, broadly covering South Korea’s tech and funding news. News items are gathered at the country level, rather than as a country-plus-technology breakdown, to provide a broad overview of South Korea’s tech startup ecosystems.
Links listed are South Korean startup news headlines from April 2020, with each taking you to the online news item for that headline, covering either an individual South Korean startup in the news or the wider Korean tech ecosystem in some way – VC, startup support initiatives, or technology-related news from the Korean peninsula, for instance.
Please take a moment to visit our friends/partners as well, displayed in the banner ads below; these are South Korean startups or initiatives worthy of notice, support and news headlines of their own.
- South Korea: A brief intro to MOIN, blockchain-backed remittance startup offering money transfer services for 29 countries
- South Korea’s Terra stablecoin, initiated by e-commerce giant TMON, partners Solana blockchain to cut credit card transaction fees from retail profit margins
- South Korea: 1st edition of Korea Mobile Fest launches, seeking short smartphone-created films and featuring a COVID-19 themed Home Alone Mobile Fest
- South Korea: Nonghyup Bank introduces blockchain-backed ‘mobile employee ID’ service, partly driven by North Korean cyber-attacks
- South Korea: An intro to 3 startups working on overseas remittances and money transfers
- South Korea: An intro to Toss Lab, enterprise communication and collaboration and project management startup
- An overview of the Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency’s focus areas, one of which is connecting Korean startups with global accelerators and mentoring
- An intro to the Korea Institute of Startup and Entrepreneurship Development, providing mentoring, networking, and events for the country’s entrepreneurs
- South Korea: An intro to Dreamfora goal-setting app, out of beta and recently released on the Google Play Store
- South Korea: Binance KR crypto-to-crypto exchange launches, offering Binance KRW stablecoin backed by the South Korean Won
- South Korea: Kurly Inc online grocery delivery startup gains $150M backing in part from Sequoia Capital to maintain presence in Korea’s competitive deliveries space
- South Korea: Central bank begins pilot program aimed at identifying technical and legal provisions required to create and issue a digital currency
- South Korea: SparkLabs startup accelerator partners Shinhan Capital nonbanking lender to create $8.28M fund to support early-stage startups
- South Korea: NextNest launches Wecast AI, broadcasting platform for Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, allowing type-to-speech casting
- ICYMI: US gove’t outlines countermeasures intended to block North Korean regime’s often cryptocurrency-dependent cybercrime campaigns
- North Korea-linked hacking group found to be sending spear-phishing email hacks with new” target of individuals concerned with North Korean refugees
- North Korea believed to be operating with circa $1.5BN in cryptocurrency in trade-based money-laundering networks to avoid sanctions
- Cambodia to gain from Korea Energy Agency investing $8M in electric bikes and solar charging stations, following Phnom Penh and Siem Reap pilot project
To have your banner included in future South Korea-focused startup news updates from Startup News Asia (monthly and quarterly) or on our daily startup news feeds (on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and via Startup News Asia mobile app) talk to us: Partner with Startup News Asia.