The cryptocurrency news headlines here were drawn from online news coverage of cryptocurrency and digital currency developments in September 2020, focusing on Asia where possible.
Headlines featured give an at-a-glance overview of developments in cryptocurrencies, in Asia and internationally, and in terms of applications such as central bank digital currencies.
Each crypto news headline here is linked to the full news article behind that headline, providing a quick-reference overview of September 2020’s cryptocurrency news whilst also letting you quickly scan to the crypto news items you find most interesting.
- ICYMI: Equinor, one of the world’s largest energy companies, partners with Crusoe Energy Solutions to significantly reduce gas flaring – using bitcoin mining
- ICYMI: Coinbase crypto exchange is developing a platform to help startups launch their own tokens, including provision of technical and governance guidance
- An intro to the Cryptocurrency Open Patent Alliance, non-profit aiming to boost adoption of cryptocurrency and combat patent barriers
- ICYMI: European Commission proposes legislation that will turn cryptocurrencies into a fully-regulated financial instrument
- ICYMI: Switzerland becomes the first major financial center with a full set of laws to govern cryptocurrency, decentralized finance and blockchain-related commerce
- The Chainalysis 2020 Geography of Cryptocurrency Report now available to download, focusing on regional crypto trading, patterns and regulation
- Hong Kong: An intro to Miny, cloud-based Bitcoin mining startup
- China Construction Bank soft-launch of central bank digital currency wallet service quickly disabled following large-scale user interest
- China: Recent launch-and-removal of China Construction Bank CDBC app included mention of separate hardware wallets for digital currency and electronic payments
- 3, and possibly 5, nations likely to replace fiat currency entirely by 2030, study findings suggest
- ICYMI: Central Bank Digital Currency – opportunities, challenges and design, from the Bank of England
- Download: The 2020 State Of Crypto Crime – darknet markets, exchange hacks, money laundering and more, from Chainalysis (pdf)
- Hong Kong: XanPool secures $4.3M pre-Series A with payment infrastructure that allows instant processing of both traditional and cryptocurrency transactions
- Philippines: A brief look at UnionBank’s two-way virtual currency ATM, a service allowing clients to buy and sell cryptocurrencies for fiat, the Philippine peso
- Singapore: KuCoin digital asset exchange funds compromised in security breach with estimated value of over $150M
- Download: 2020 Crypto Hedge Fund Report, from pwc (pdf)
- India: New cryptocurrency trading ban may be looming – “…government will encourage blockchain…but is not keen on cryptocurrency trading”
- Consensys blockchain firm awarded contract for Project Ithanon-Lionrock, cross-border payment project using CBDC between Thailand and Hong Kong
- ICYMI: Libra Networks, operating company subsidiary of Facebook’s Libra Association, hires former HSBC exec to role of managing director
- ICYMI: Bahamas to roll out Sand Dollar digital currency nationwide in October, allowing holders to use mobile phones for person-to-person or business transactions
Startup news Asia channels
Our monthly news collections are drawn from Startup News Asia’s daily startup news updates – delivered on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and via mobile app – which collect technology news across 17 locations in Asia and the Indo-Pacific.
For a bullet-point overview of our channels:
Startup News Asia quick links